Saturday 4 August 2012

London 2012 Day 4

Wow what a day! The nerves started early for me. At breakfast I only ate a bowl of cereal, that's not normal for me, I just couldn't stomach anything else being competition day. Vedor was happy when I greeted him at the stables, after his breakfast he went out for a morning stroll and then we wait for his rider to arrive. Course walk was at 9am, my rider arrived just in time to walk the course. After course walk, Vedor had a light workout and then I got him ready for the class. He warmed up very relaxed and jumped his socks off in the warm up.

Julia and Vedor warming up

On the way to the main arena, the butterflies started. I would always get nervous when Julia was riding Haymen in the big classes back home, but not like this. She went into the ring and I thought 'this is actually happening'. Four of us stood on the 'Kiss and Cry' stand to watch Julia jump her round. That was me, Chef d'Equipe Stephan Lamb, team vet David Johnson and trainer Rod Brown.

At the Kiss and cry (Photo: Hymne Rydant)

Julia went to the first fence and so far so good, it was only 1.40m fence. The fences that had me worried was the tall red plank vertical, pretty flimsy fence, which Vedor eased over with style, the triple bar into the double, both handled it well and then the last double, a massive oxer to a tall vertical. I was jumping every fence with them. I didn't know it was the last jump until the crowd erupted and Julia was CLEAR! My eyes welled up and I couldn't get the grin off my face. I felt so proud at that moment. It felt like the moment we found out we were going to the Games after her round in Broug En Bresse for Olympic selection. This was even sweeter.

After her clear round, with team vet David Johnson

Julia and Vedor came out of the ring on a high and could not believe what just happened. Yes you just jumped clear Julia! and the whole team was very happy for her and there were no time faults! She has qualified for the next round along with 31 other riders.

Unfortunately team rider Matt Williams and Watch Me, our first rider into the ring, had 2 uncharacteristic stops at the liverpool/water tray and was eliminated. He has another chance tomorrow to ride for the team, but he is out of the individual competition. Poor Matt, he didn't need that.

Third team rider in the ring was Edwina Tops-Alexander, her and Itot did a super round with no penalties to qualify for the next round. James Paterson-Robinson was last for the Aussies and the horse was jumping fantastic until he knocked a rail and ended with 4 penalties. Also qualified for the next round.

Once I had Vedor back at the stables, it was lots of carrots for him! I still couldn't keep the grin on my face :)

Julia had quite a bit of fan mail from back home in Oz

I caught the last 10 riders online, streaming it from the stables. It was so nice to see Vivant go round for Ukraine rider, Katharina Offel. He was jumping the wings just about, though he had an unlucky rail. The biggest drama came from American rider, Beezie Madden, who was eliminated after stopping twice in the double. This was such a shame, the horse had so much scope and style, a real jumper.

Vedor spent the afternoon out on the grass and getting a massage. Aaaah the life of a superstar! We caught up with American dressage horse Ravel and his groom out in the grazing area. Another highlight for me, seeing one of my favourite dressage horses and hearing about all the lovely Aussies that rock up at Steffan Peters' barn in San Diego and all the travel stories of the horses that come from the USA. There were a few more squirrels getting around today, sorry no photos of the squirrels.

Once Vedor had his dinner it was time for my dinner and I had a nice chat to the horse physio of Team USA, Janice. We spoke of the dramas and highlights of the day, as both our teams had a mishap in the jumping and there was also some greatness from both teams.

The Cutty Sark in Greenwich

After dinner I went off to explore the town of Greenwich. It is a lovely riverside town and home to the Old Royal Navy College. I walked the streets of Greenwich and it reminded me a little of Paddington in Sydney, only it was by the water. I walked passed the old very tall ship, the Cutty Sark and down to the River Thames. It was a lovely evening with the sun setting. Here I could get a good bearing of where I was, I could see the city of London, the London eye and the Olympic village from the Greenwich pier. All a lot closer than first thought. I will have to plan an evening to hop on the ferry to head up the Thames to see a little more of London. I need to put my transport card to some good use.

Greenwich University

After such a great day, I'm not sure how I am going to sleep tonight. Tomorrow is the first round of the Nations Cup, starting at 11am. G'night all.

1 comment:

  1. Anna. I am so pleased it is all going to plan. Enjoy the ride. It is as much your success as Julia's. Have so much fun and I hope the rest of the competition goes as smoothly, big pats for Vedor from me. Freyr

    ReplyDelete